The stats are pretty clear, that when women get divorced, start-over, or begin a new, their finances are usually the first to go down rather than improving.
Finances are an overwhelming burden that can keep folks stuck in spaces far longer than they should stay.
When faced with uncertainty many people would rather be stuck in a comfy, yet painful life, rather than risk losing that comfort because they don't know the whole path to take.
Maybe you have finally chosen that happiness is worth more than comfort and you are now on that scary journey to a new unknown life, I applaud you for your incredible courage!
I know first hand the kind of courage it takes to leave your comfort zone and not even be sure if you can make it financially. Yes, the thought of living in a card board box was a very real fear!
I had to get real with money. I had to face how I had been living my life, vs. how I was going to live it now. I had to learn to be content with what I had, to know that I would always have what I needed. I had to trust that things always work out! They just do!
You may not be able to see each step clearly, but I can assure you, that a step will present itself and all you have to do is have enough faith to take that ONE! One little step, will move you to the next and the next. We get what we need and more, if we choose to have faith in embracing uncertainty and our willingness to keep right on moving!
My approach to money became super simple. I set a powerful set of guidelines to live my financial life by. Do I know if they work?
I'm just about debt free. One year and counting. I own my business. I'm no longer working for someone else. Paying my bills on time. I own my car and even paid it off early. I invest in my future daily. All because I got real with money and created a relationship that I could embrace and that was devoted to me building a better life!
What are those super simple guidelines?
1. Learning to sit still. I know it sounds kind of funny but the truth is many folks can't sit still long enough to create a budget let alone how they are going to create unlimited wealth. How can you become truthfully aware of your life, if you are unable to sit for periods of time and see where you are at.
I use to be high drama. Always on the go. Couldn't sit still. Needed an endless supply of friends & distractions. When I got divorced it didn't take me long to realize my life was an out of control disaster!
Sit STILL. Be PRESENT. Become AWARE.
2. Let go of EVERYTHING that doesn't add beauty & joy to YOUR life!
It's pretty crystal clear.This means the physical clutter and distractions. It also means old friends who don't add value to your life, family that is un-supportive & treat you poorly & co-workers that bring out the worst in YOU. Either let them go, or create massive, healthy, tough love boundaries! Be careful where you are spending your ENERGY. Energy creates money.
3. Say yes to what makes you feel internally awesome, say no to everything else. In order to get ahead, create a financially stable life you need to know where your energy, time & money is going. If it sucks the life out of you, ditch it. Also....LOSE the GUILT. You shouldn't feel guilty for saying NO!
4. Be eternally grateful for every bill that I have the honor to pay. And be happy that I have that bill to begin with. Many folks don't have the luxury to pay for a car, let alone be thankful they have the money that month. I say THANK YOU for every bill I pay, when I pay it!
5. Treat your finances like a valued old friend. You respect your bills, you check in with them, you say Thank you for them! Your finances are not any different.
6. Know where you can cut back, make changes & improve your overall money status! Call around about insurances. Use coupons when applicable. Create a budget, and stick to it. Cut back on UN-neccessary luxuries. Get creative with your meals. Learn to stretch your dollars. BE PRO-ACTIVE with your MONEY! Take care of it, and it will take care of you!
7. START Today investing in your future. I learned this the long, hard way. My parents didn't show me the ropes when it came to money. They spent what they had and never invested for tomorrow. I totally get living in the now, but should tomorrow arrive on my doorstep, I want to know that I have built an empire because I devoted my heart, soul, mind and body to it! I truly had to teach myself that in order to live the most amazing life, of my choosing...I needed to re-invest in my own future!
8. The best investment! Learning! Constantly learn. Improve your skills, try new things, become open to possibilities & options! Every thing you learn becomes an asset. The two single biggest reasons learning is an asset. One, you are able to take those brilliant new skills and apply them towards a better paying job or career. Two, every single skill you LEARN is teachable to someone else. By teaching others the incredible skills you have gained you are not only employable, but you have the opportunity to become your own boss. Skills are marketable. They are money in the bank. Every ounce of knowledge that you gather is income!! Priceless income that no one can take from YOU!
9. Know where you want to go. This comes back to focus, being present, sitting still and learning to be aware. You become aware of where you are NOW, by being focused and sitting still. Staying in the present moment allows you to gain knowledge and learn it to your fullest potential. Being present also keeps you grateful for the very moment you are in at this time! At this time, you are learning, your gaining valuable skills and you are moving towards your awe inspiring life that you DESERVE! If you don't create the time to sit still, be aware & get crystal clear & focused....HOW WILL YOU KNOW WHERE YOU WANT TO GO? Instead, you will aimlessly wander and 5 years from now, you will still be aimlessly wandering! So....Better getting sitting!
10. When you know clearly where you are NOW, what your financial status looks like NOW and you are clearly focused on where you want to BE, it is then that you can begin creating the ultimate road map to get YOU there. And because you have become so gosh darn focused, you will have no problem staying on track!
It really is pretty simple and clear. It's sitting still & listening that will show you where you are and where you want to be. From there it's a path that only you and your heart can decide which route looks like the one you should take. And all routes can easily be re-routed should something better come along. There are no perfect paths, just guidelines to keep you moving on your JOURNEY to a FINANCIALLY fabulous life, that you deserve!